Tuesday, September 18, 2012

As promised..."Marie Lamb, The Chatterbox!"


As promised in several places, I am delighted to share my portrait! It was painted by (who else?) Jerome Witkin. Mr. Witkin decided to paint me after I interviewed him for WCNY-FM in September of 2011; the offer was unexpected, but I took it, and it changed my life...no exaggeration!  Jerome worked on the painting in the fall of 2011 and in the spring of 2012. He suggested that I borrow it for display at WCNY-FM, and of course, I accepted such a generous offer! When I went to hear Jerome's talk about Karl Schrag at S.U. on September 18th of this year, I was surprised to learn that he had the painting ready for me to take back to the radio station! Jerome and one of his students got the painting into the back seat of my car, and it just barely made it in there! The painting's title is "Marie Lamb, The Chatterbox." Its title, the chattering wind-up false teeth, and the radio in the background are humorous references to my quarter-century in public radio. The photo does not do justice to this magnificent painting, which is on a pretty grand scale!  However, I hope you enjoy it, and words are not enough to express my gratitude to Jerome, not just for this incredible painting, but for his wonderful friendship and support, the greatest gifts of all!


P.S.: This photo of me with the portrait was taken on September 27th by one of our WCNY ReadOut volunteers, Patty Wilkowski, who has been following the progress of this project from the beginning!  I had a set of wind-up teeth on my desk, so we got a plate from the station kitchen and turned the teeth loose while Patty got the picture!  

No comments:

Post a Comment